Sarri: Our players must adapt to ‘difference-maker’ Ronaldo

first_imgMaurizio Sarri has told his Juventus squad they must adapt to Cristiano Ronaldo’s game after hailing him as the “player who makes the difference”.The Portugal international plundered 28 goals in his debut campaign for the Bianconeri following his move from Real Madrid, guiding them to an eighth successive Serie A title.He picked up where he left off in Juve’s first pre-season game ahead of the 2019-20 season on Sunday, scoring a typically clinical goal in his side’s 3-2 International Champions Cup defeat to Tottenham. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Speaking ahead of an ICC clash against Italian rivals Inter on Wednesday, head coach Sarri made it clear Ronaldo will be the focal point of his side in the forthcoming campaign.”He will be the player who will make the difference for us so the other 10 will have to adapt to him,” Sarri told a media conference.”During this tour he will play mostly as a left offensive striker, knowing very well he likes to move more central next to the other striker.”As a team we have to be quick to adapt to his movements since he is capable of making the difference and he will do it for sure. In the first game, he scored and had a further couple of chances.”The defeat to Tottenham also saw the debut of Matthijs de Ligt, the new signing from Ajax who arrived last week for an initial fee of €75 million (£68m/$84m).Sarri described the 19-year-old as a “phenomenal prospect” but would not be drawn on whether he will command an immediate place in his preferred starting XI.”De Ligt is a phenomenal prospect,” Sarri said. “He is a 19-year-old kid who has already been captain in an important club like Ajax so he is an important prospect.”I don’t know whether he will stay on the bench or not. If not, on the bench there will be other important defenders like [Leonardo] Bonucci, [Giorgio] Chiellini and [Daniele] Rugani.”last_img read more

Emiliano Sala plane wreckage found in English Channel, father calls it a bad dream

first_img India Today Web Desk LondonFebruary 4, 2019UPDATED: February 4, 2019 10:55 IST Emiliano Sala had signed for Cardiff City from Nantes FC only a week before his disappearance. (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSEmiliano Sala has been missing since two weeksCardiff City and Nantes FC have been mourning the Sala tragedyThe search for Sala has continued through private investigators funded by his family and football fraternityThe wreckage Emiliano Sala’s aircraft that disappeared over the English Channel last month with the Cardiff City player in the plane has been found in the underwater search, the marine scientist directing the private search said on Sunday.The 28-year-old Argentina-born forward had been en route from Nantes in western France with pilot David Ibbotson to make his debut for Welsh team Cardiff City when the plane is believed to have crashed into the sea on Jan. 21.A privately funded underwater search had begun on Sunday, several days after investigators said they found two seat cushions on the French coast that likely belonged to the aircraft.”Wreckage of the plane carrying Emiliano Sala and piloted by David Ibbotson was located early this morning,” marine scientist David Mearns, who directed the search, said on Twitter.Wreckage of the plane carrying Emiliano Sala and piloted by David Ibbotson was located early this morning by the FPV MORVEN. As agreed with the AAIB they moved the GEO OCEAN III over the position we provided them to visually identify the plane by ROV. #EmilianoSalaDavid Mearns (@davidlmearns) February 3, 2019Mearns said Britain’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) had moved its vessel over the position his team had located to visually identify the plane using a remote-operated vehicle.”The families of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson have been notified by police. The AAIB will be making a statement tomorrow. Tonight our sole thoughts are with the families and friends of Emiliano and David,” Mearns said.The families of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson have been notified by Police. The AAIB will be making a statement tomorrow. Tonight our sole thoughts are with the families and friends of Emiliano and David. #EmilianoSalas #NoDejenDeBuscarAEmilianoSalaadvertisementDavid Mearns (@davidlmearns) February 3, 2019Sala’s father Horacio Sala, who is still back home in Argentina, woke up with the news of the plane wreckage being found. He has accepted that all this feels like a “bad dream”.”I can’t believe it. It’s a bad dream,” Horacio Sala told Cronica TV at his home in Progreso.Sala’s father is the only member of the family who stayed behind at home as the whole family went to Nantes to help with the search.”I talk to them every day. But since I don’t have WhatsApp it’s expensive to call them or for them to call me. But anyway, they kept saying days were going by, and that there had been zero word on Emiliano, or on the plane,” Sala’s father said.France striker Kylian Mbappe donated USD 34,000 for the search and rescue operations of the missing plane carrying Cardiff City player Emiliano Sala.More than 300,000 euros ($340,000) had been raised online to allow Sala’s family to fund a private search, after an official rescue operation for the light aircraft was called off after three days. Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona were among those making pleas to resume a search.Speaking ahead of Cardiff’s trip to Arsenal on Tuesday, their first match since Sala’s plane vanished, manager Neil Warnock said this has been the most difficult week of his career and admits he had questioned whether he could even carry on doing his job.”You think 24 hours a day about whether to carry on,” Warnock, told reporters.”It’s impossible to sleep. I’ve been in football management for 40 years and it’s been by far the most difficult week in my career, by an absolute mile.”It’s been a traumatic week and even now I can’t get my head around the situation.”Also Read | Emiliano Sala would be proud of Cardiff’s 2-0 win over Bournemouth: WarnockAlso Read | Some players reluctant to join Cardiff after Emiliano Sala disappearance: manager WarnockAlso Read | Cardiff City players scared to fly after Emiliano Sala disappearance: Defender Sol BambaAlso Read | Cardiff City, Arsenal pay tribute to Emiliano Sala in 1st match since his disappearanceFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Tags :Follow Emiliano SalaFollow Emiliano Sala missing planeFollow Cardiff CityFollow Nantes FC Next Emiliano Sala plane wreckage found in English Channel, father calls it a bad dreamCardiff City’s new signing Emiliano Sala disappeared with his aircraft on January 21 on the way from his old club Nantes FC to the new one.advertisementlast_img read more

Navy issues EOI for building 6 submarines worth Rs 45k cr

first_imgNew Delhi: The Indian Navy has issued an Expression of Interest for shortlisting potential strategic partners for the construction of six P-75 (I) submarines, a major initiative under the ‘Make In India’ costing nearly Rs 45,000 crore, the Defence Ministry said on Thursday.This is the second project being undertaken under the latest Strategic Partnership (SP) Model, with the first being the procurement of 111 Naval Utility Helicopters (NUH). This would provide a major boost to the indigenous design and construction capability of submarines in India, in addition to bringing in the latest submarine design and technologies as part of the project, the Navy said. Also Read – Cong may promise farm loan waiver in Haryana”As a major initiative towards ‘Make in India’, the government immediately on taking over has issued the Expression of Interest(s) for shortlisting of potential Indian Strategic Partners (SPs) for “Construction of six Conventional Submarines” for P-75(I) Project of the Indian Navy on June 20,” it said. The case was approved by the Defence Acquisition Council on January 31. The Expression of Interest (EoI) for shortlisting of Indian Strategic Partners has been uploaded on Ministry of Defence and Indian Navy websites. Also Read – Modi formed OBC commission which earlier govts didn’t do: ShahThe EoI for shortlisting of Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) will be issued in two weeks, the Navy said. The SPs in collaboration with OEMs have been mandated to set up dedicated manufacturing lines for these submarines in India with an aim to make India the global hub for submarine design and production. “All six submarines under this project will be built in India by the selected Indian Strategic Partner in collaboration with the selected OEM. In addition, the Indian Navy would have the option to manufacture six more submarines under the project,” the Defence Ministry said. The project would not only aid in boosting the core submarine and the ship building industry but would also greatly enhance manufacturing, industrial sector, especially the medium, small and micro enterprises, by development of an industrial eco-system for manufacture of associated spares, systems, equipment related to submarines. The potential SPs are expected to respond to the EoI within two months. “The Indian companies would be shortlisted based on their capability for integration of system of systems, expertise in shipbuilding domain and the financial strength. The OEMs would be shortlisted primarily based on their submarine design meeting the Indian Navy’s Qualitative Requirements and qualifying the Transfer of Technology and Indigenous Content (IC) criteria,” the Defence Ministry said. “This will be an important step towards meeting broader national objectives, encouraging self reliance and aligning the defence sector with the ‘Make in India’ initiative of the government,” it added.last_img read more