Novelist, essayist and disability studies scholar Georgina Kleege will present “HK: Dead Letters to Helen Keller,” a free lecture at the University of Colorado at Boulder on March 23 at 7 p.m. in University Memorial Center rooms 157A-B. Kleege has been legally blind since the age of 11. Kleege is an assistant professor in the English department at Ohio State University. Her book, “Sight Unseen,” is acclaimed for demonstrating that the plight of the blind is partly its own reality and largely due to the creation of the normally sighted. Kleege draws upon her own experiences to offer an unprecedented body of work on blindness and contemporary culture. In her upcoming book she describes the “negative social status of the blind” and the stereotypes in film and literature that support those views. “She represents the world of blindness with a newly defined authenticity,” said Jim Cohn, Disability Services specialist. Kleeges two-day visit to CU-Boulder will “highlight our support for the importance of representation of persons and figures with disabilities across the curriculum,” he said. Kleeges campus visit is sponsored by Disability Services, the English department, Center for Humanities and the Arts, Center for Values and Social Policy, the department of speech, language and hearing sciences, the academic affairs diversity committee and the vice chancellor for student affairs.Disability Services provides resources, advocacy, collaborative services, and education and outreach within the university community through equal access, empowerment, support and education of, and for, individuals with disabilities.For more information, or accommodations, contact the Disability Services office at (303) 492-8671, e-mail [email protected] or visit their Web site at http://www.colorado.edu/sacs/disabilityservices. Published: March 13, 2000 Share Share via TwitterShare via FacebookShare via LinkedInShare via E-mail
July 31 Final Day for Minimum Wage Submissions LabourJuly 30, 2015Written by: Shari-Ann Palmer Story HighlightsThe Ministry of Labour and Social Security is reminding the public that July 31 is the final day for the submission of written proposals on the review of the national minimum wage and the minimum wage for industrial security guards.The proposals, comments and suggestions on whether the minimum wage should be increased, and the appropriate level of increase, are being requested for consideration by the Minimum Wage Advisory Commission (MWAC).Persons making submissions may be asked to appear before the MWAC to give support for their recommendations. The Ministry of Labour and Social Security is reminding the public that July 31 is the final day for the submission of written proposals on the review of the national minimum wage and the minimum wage for industrial security guards.The proposals, comments and suggestions on whether the minimum wage should be increased, and the appropriate level of increase, are being requested for consideration by the Minimum Wage Advisory Commission (MWAC).Persons making submissions may be asked to appear before the MWAC to give support for their recommendations.The minimum wage was last adjusted in January 2014 from $5,000 to $5,600 per 40-hour workweek, and from $7,320 to $8,198 per 40-hour workweek for industrial security guards.Chairman of the MWAC, Silvera Castro, in an interview with JIS News earlier this month, informed that consultations will begin in August and are expected to be completed in November this year.“After that [the consultations], the Commission will deliberate and make its assessment…looking at the economic situation that exists now,” he said. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Advertisements RelatedMinistry’s Training Programme Propels Persons with Disabilities RelatedJPC Targets Youth As It Promotes Productivity Culture Related200 Residents of Hartford/Morass Lane Get Certificates of Possession
BEAUMONT — A shooting at a Beaumont nightclub has left five people shot and one dead early Saturday morning.Shortly after 2 a.m. Beaumont officers responded to a disturbance at Club Rumba, 3684 College St., Suite B where witnesses said a fight broke out inside the club and continued into the parking lot. Multiple people retrieved firearms and began shooting at each other, according to a press release from the Beaumont Police Department. Five people suffered gunshot wounds. One victim, Ronald Livings, 27, was brought by private vehicle to Baptist Hospital and died from his injuries.A 26-year-old man was transported to Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital in Beaumont and taken into surgery. He is expected to live. The other victims were treated and released with non-life threatening injuries. If you have information about this investigation and did not speak with officers, call 409-880-3865.If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Southeast Texas Crime Stoppers at 409-833-TIPS. You can submit tips with your cell phone by downloading the P3 TIPS App. All tips are anonymous and could be eligible for a cash reward. The investigation is in the early stages. Detectives are still taking statements and trying to locate witnesses that left the scene without speaking to officers.
DAMBULLA, Sri Lanka (Reuters) – South Africa opener Quinton de Kock’s attacking 87 set up a four-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the second one-day international yesterday, handing the tourists a 2-0 lead in the five-match series.Chasing 245 for victory, South Africa reached their target with 43 balls to spare, giving themselves the perfect opportunity to pick up a series win in the 50-over format after going down 2-0 in the test matches.de Kock and Hashim Amla gave the touring side the perfect platform in their run chase with an opening stand of 91, before spinner Akila Dananjaya dismissed Amla for 43.Dananjaya, who picked up 3-60, also sent back Aiden Markram soon after but de Kock and South Africa captain Faf du Plessis pegged Sri Lanka back with a 53-run stand for the third wicket.de Kock hit 13 fours and a six in his 78-ball knock while du Plessis chipped in with a handy 49, before spooning a catch back to Dananjaya to become the off-spinner’s third victim.South Africa lost du Plessis and David Miller in quick succession but once Dananjaya’s quota of 10 overs ended Sri Lanka’s attack lacked the teeth to pull off an unlikely victory.Earlier, half-centuries from captain Angelo Mathews and opener Niroshan Dickwella took Sri Lanka to 244 for eight in their 50 overs after the hosts won the toss and chose to bat.Pace duo Andile Phehlukwayo and Lungi Ngidi picked up three wickets each as South Africa’s bowlers once again managed to prevent Sri Lanka from posting a commanding total.Ngidi, who took 3-50, provided the early breakthroughs for the tourists by dismissing Upul Tharanga and Kusal Mendis off consecutive deliveries in his opening over.Dickwella and Mathews steadied the innings with a 67-run stand for the fourth wicket before the former was bowled by Phehlukwayo, who picked up 3-45, for 69.Sri Lanka failed to add much momentum to their innings as none of their other batsmen managed to cross a score of 20. Mathews remained unbeaten on 79 off 111 deliveries.The third ODI will be played at Kandy on Sunday.
Tipperary senior footballers host Cork this evening in round 4 of the National League.The Premier County have one win, one draw and one defeat to date while the Rebels sit top of the table with three wins from three.Former Tipperary selector Shane Stapleton believes Cork are favourites but hopes Tipperary can surprise them. Photo courtesy of Enda O’Sullivan, www.sportsfocus.ie Tipp FM will have live coverage from Semple Stadium at 7pm this evening is association with John Kennedy Motors, Main Toyota dealers Clonmel.
LONDON – Experienced Jamaican striker Jamille Matt, who was released by Newport County after his two-year contract expired at the end of last season, has joined ambitious English League Two rivals Forest Green Rovers. “I have a lot of experience and I want to use this to help the team and match their ambition and desire to be successful.” Matt, 30, had a modest season at Newport, scoring just six goals as the Welsh outfit finished in mid-table. The previous season his 20 goals helped the club reach the play-off final in which they were beaten 1-0 by Tranmere Rovers. The six-foot, four-inch front man has signed a one-year deal at Forest Green after the upheaval caused by the coronavirus pandemic outbreak meant Newport were not in a position to offer him a new contract. “Jamille brings a different weapon to our armoury. We have not had a focal point since Christian Doidge left (to join Scottish outfit Hibernian). He can be a target man and gives you another option.” Matt amassed 97 appearances for Newport after joining the club in the summer of 2018 and formed a potent partnership with Padraig Amond. Forest Green manager Mark Cooper was quick to snap up Matt – one of eight new signings already at the club, who briefly led the table last season before fading to 10th, three points above Newport. Cooper said he was delighted to capture Matt, who has also played for Kidderminster Harriers, Plymouth Argyle, Grimsby Town and Blackpool. “He knows how to be successful at the level, not old in terms of years, but in games he is vastly experienced,” Cooper said. After arriving at the Gloucestershire outfit’s New Lawn ground, Matt spoke of his desire to push the club forward, saying: “I’m delighted to sign for Forest Green and Mark Cooper was the main factor in me signing. CMC