Getting Real with Lydia Loveless

first_img The Absolute Worst Movies to Watch with a Date Editors’ Recommendations Learn Guitar (and Don’t Give Up) With the Fender Play App The Best Documentaries on Netflix Right Now 7 of the Best Drink References in Music Lydia Loveless is set to release her 4th record, Real, next Friday, August 19th, through Bloodshot Records. After dipping her toe into pop music on 2014’s Somewhere Else, Loveless dives into it on Real. As the artist herself puts it, “Whereas our previous records could be described as blunt or raw, this one I wanted to be known as honest, as true, as real.”Moving from a rawer sound to one that is more produced may seem misguided, but the counterintuitive move works thanks to Loveless’ openness. As its title suggests, Real deals with issues surrounding the idea of authenticity. In addressing the album’s background, Loveless poses a question,  “Who are you really, at the end of the day, entirely alone, without all the daydreams and the bullshit and the performance art we go through all day every day? Because I feel like I spent my formative years flopping around like a fish, masking pain with substance abuse and somewhat ashamed of who I was…it was absolutely necessary for me to become a stronger, more confident human, or I was going to die. Real is my sort of love letter to that realization, that my existence was just as valid as any other.”Real‘s songs all deal with these issues in one way or another, whether it is the confessional “More Than Ever” or the resigned “Heaven.” In sharing these songs and emotions unabashedly, Loveless finds the titular realness.Lydia Loveless’ Real comes out August 19th on Bloodshot Records, and is available for preorder through Amazon, iTunes, and Bloodshot Records online store. 16 Best Action Movies on Netflix Right Nowlast_img read more

Drunken girl gang jailed after posting sex attack of amateur footballer on

first_imgI sentence three people for glorifying in the humiliation and degradation of a fellow human beingJudge Graham Knowles A drunken gang of girls who took Snapchat photos and videos of a “ritualised humiliation” sex attack on an amateur footballer has been jailed.Brogan Gillard, the 26-year-old ringleader of the group, was filmed dancing around the victim’s naked body as she cut his hair, sliced onions over him and sexually assaulted him with a pair of scissors.Paige Cunningham, 22, and Shannon Jones, 20, also posed for “trophy photographs” with the unconscious 19-year-old victim and a Snapchat post showed one girl holding the man’s penis. In another she makes a gun with her fingers and points it at him. Mother-of-three Gillard ignored the crying of her children upstairs as she and the co-accused sexually demeaned their victim, whose mother phoned his mobile during the attack and heard “girly screams”.The court heard in his victim impact statement that he has flashbacks and suicidal thoughts and feels anxious.Gillard has a string of previous convictions, including arson, false benefits claims, harassment of a neighbour, theft, and drink driving. Cunningham, a mother of two, has previous for battery, theft, shoplifting and assaulting a police officer.All three pleaded guilty to sexual assault. Gillard also pleaded guilty to unrelated child cruelty charges.Mitigating for Gillard, Sharon Watson, said her client had been drunk and did it as a joke, but admits it is “deeply unpleasant, disturbing and upsetting”. Two of her children have now been adopted, it was added. Mitigating for Cunningham, Mike Brady, said she is remorseful and “it was a sexual assault in unique circumstances”.Brian Williams, for Jones, who has no previous convictions said she has little memory of that night because she was very drunk and had taken drugs. “She was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people,” said Mr Williams.All three must sign the sex offenders register and are subject or restraining orders. The purpose of the drunken exploits was to demean and humiliate for their own pleasureFrancis McEntee The drunken girls picked up the man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, in a bar in Barrow in Furness, Cumbria.Prosecutor Francis McEntee said the victim had met his girlfriend in Barrow on November 28, 2015, but after an argument he continued drinking alone in Healey’s Bar.The three girls met him and lured him back to Gillard’s home in Keith Street, where they plied him with vodka until he lost consciousness. They stripped him by shredding his clothes.The next he recalled was waking up naked apart from his shoes on his doorstep at 5.25am, where his mother found him clutching his shredded jeans over his private parts.“His hair had been cut off in clumps and he literally fell in through the front door,” said Mr McEntee.He was said to be semi-conscious and screaming “get them off”. He had no clear recollection of the evening, but felt “significant pain”, the court heard. Paige Cunningham, who was sentenced to 10 months in prison Shannon Jones arrives at Preston Sessions House Courtcenter_img The video was shared on social media and was seen by their victim’s girlfriend, Preston Crown Court heard. Gillard then joked about using carrots and onions in the sex assault on Facebook.Judge Graham Knowles QC said he sentenced as if it had been three men on a female.“I sentence three people for glorifying in the humiliation and degradation of a fellow human being,” he said. He said the video and images were “profoundly disturbing”.He sentenced Gillard to 31 months and Cunningham to 10 months imprisonment. Jones will be sentenced at a later date.Judge Knowles said they “entirely dehumanised” their victim. Shannon Jones arrives at Preston Sessions House CourtCredit:SWNS.com Paige Cunningham, who was sentenced to 10 months in prisonCredit:SWNS.com Paramedics and police were called and the “dazed and confused” man was taken to hospital.Later that day, his girlfriend told his mother she had seen the video on social media.Police investigated and found photographic and video footage on Gillard’s white Samsung mobile. She told police: “I cut his hair and clothes because he’s a d–k.”They stripped him naked and as he lay in the foetal position on a kitchen floor, while Gillard sheared off his hair egged on by the other two.“Gillard performed what might be described, by her dancing, a ritual humiliation, encouraged by Jones and Cunningham,” Mr McEntee said.All three posed individually for “trophy photographs” beside their naked victim. “The purpose of the drunken exploits was to demean and humiliate for their own pleasure,” said Mr McEntee.As the video and some of the 40 stills were shown in court, Gillard broke down in tears. They showed Gillard, sporting a bare midriff,  giving a “V” sign for victory in front of a full frontal nude of the footballer. Other Snapchats showed her in “gangster style” poses and dancing provocatively.Judge Graham Knowles QC described Gillard as “gloating”. “She is smirking, thrusting her own backside towards the camera, beer in hand, and one finger characteristic of people in gangster pose,” he said.  Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more

Massey urges MSHA to reverse dust scrubber policy in coal mines

first_imgMassey Energy’s Chairman and CEO Don Blankenship has requested that MSHA (Mine Safety & Health Administration) reverse the agency’s practice of requiring the coal industry to turn off dust scrubbers on continuous mining machines. “We have urged you to reverse this practice as soon as possible and allow our coal miners to enjoy the benefits of one of the truly significant technological advances of the past 30 years – the scrubber – a device able to physically remove from the atmosphere up to 98% of the harmful dust generated in the mining process,” he wrote in his letter to Joe Main, Assistant Secretary for MSHA. IM‘s June leader discusses the recent mining disaster in Massey’s Upper Big Branch mine and how MSHA is aiming to prevent future accidents.This letter comes after the agency required that many Massey and other Central Appalachia mines turn off their scrubbers. Massey has strenuously objected in multiple instances. However, MSHA has continued this practice.Continuous miner machines have been equipped with a device called a ‘scrubber’ for many years. This device, much like a vacuum cleaner, sucks in dirty air from the area of the machine cutting coal and passes it through a filter prior to the scrubber exhausting the filtered air. This filtering of dusty air greatly reduces the dust remaining in the air so that the equipment operator breathes in cleaner air.The federal government’s research arm in the area of mine health and safety, the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), has conducted a study that shows a coal miner working on a section where the scrubber is turned off may inhale up to 12 times as much respirable dust as when the scrubber is on.“Currently, 62 of our 132 continuous mining machines are not permitted to run with their scrubbers operating,” writes Blankenship. “Our coal miners are also confused and, quite frankly, distressed by MSHA’s action. They cannot understand why the agency that has been created to protect their health and safety is doing the opposite.”last_img read more

Polio adding to Syrias humanitarian disaster say aid agencies

first_imgMASS GLOBAL ACTION is required to stem an outbreak of polio in the Middle East, aid agencies WHO and UNICEF have warned.Eight months after the outbreak, the agencies are reporting progress in their polio vaccination programme in Syria, but say that health workers need better – and safer – access to hard-to-reach areas if they are to adequately tackle the disease.Two months ago, WHO’s Director General declared the spread of polio a public health emergency of international concern – the second time ever such a declaration has been issued.In a new report, WHO and UNICEF outline their plan to halt the outbreak in the Middle East, particularly Syria. Polio has returned to Syria for the first time in 14 years, caused, the report authors say, by the impact of the ongoing conflict on the country’s health system and population movements.The country’s first case of polio since 1999 was diagnosed in October 2013.Since the conflict, polio vaccination coverage has declined in Syria from an average of 99% to just 52%, and cases of polio have spread over its borders into neighbouring countries.“Polio has forced its way back to Syria, adding to what was already a humanitarian disaster,” said Chris Maher, WHO manager for polio eradication and emergency support. We got to a point where we had to work with very limited resources to defeat what had been a long forgotten enemy in this region: one that does not know borders or checkpoints and can travel fast, infecting children not just in war torn Syria but across the region.The first phase of the WHO/UNICEF vaccination programme has just been completed, reaching 25 million children under the age of five across seven countries, but the agencies say they need to secure funding to continue repeat vaccinations in the region this year.Yesterday, the UNSC approved a resolution to allow UN agencies provide aid to Syrians inside their state’s borders, whether President Assad’s government agrees to allow the assistance or not. Read: In Syria, children swim in craters made by barrel bombs >Read: How many Syrian refugees has Ireland offered to take in? > #UNSC #Syria resolution will allow @UN to side-step regime obstruction and move across international borders to provide food and medicine.— U.S. Embassy Syria (@USEmbassySyria) July 14, 2014 Source: U.S. Embassy Syria/Twitterlast_img read more