Education Ministry Makes Progress on Abolishing Shift System

first_imgAdvertisements Education Ministry Makes Progress on Abolishing Shift System EducationMay 16, 2013Written by: Athaliah Reynolds-Baker Photo: JIS PhotographerMinister of Education, the Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites (standing) making his contribution to the Sectoral Debate in parliament. Related2013/2014 Sectoral Debate: Minister of Education, the Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites Education Ministry Makes Progress on Abolishing Shift SystemJIS News | Presented by: PausePlay% buffered00:0000:00UnmuteMuteDisable captionsEnable captionsSettingsCaptionsDisabledQualityundefinedSpeedNormalCaptionsGo back to previous menuQualityGo back to previous menuSpeedGo back to previous menu0.5×0.75×Normal1.25×1.5×1.75×2×Exit fullscreenEnter fullscreenPlaycenter_img RelatedMinister Renews Call for Churches to Strengthen Involvement in Schools FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail The Ministry of Education will be undertaking a number of initiatives as it moves ahead with plans to abolish the shift system.This was disclosed by Education Minister, the Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, during his contribution to the 2013/14 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on May 15.“We have a serious problem with the shift system, especially in the secondary schools. We have to have a plan to eliminate it,” he stated.Rev. Thwaites announced the construction of new schools and the expansion of existing institutions through public-private partnership as one of the steps being taken. “This year, we will be completing two schools, one at the primary and the other at the secondary level,” he informed.Rev. Thwaites noted that one new high school to accommodate 1,000 students costs about $800 million. He said it is therefore important that the private sector partners with the government on this initiative.He informed that a number of private sector partners have come on board, including an offer from Turkish investors to erect a high school in Montego Bay.“We have the funds and the interested investors to advance this project year after year, to take it island wide to relieve the shift system,” he remarked.He further noted that the Ministry will also make use of existing privately-owned educational institutions, by expanding and linking with established traditional schools, and refurbishing other existing facilities to provide additional places at the secondary level.Plans are also in place for the provision of between 10 and 15 new blocks of eight modular classrooms, he said.“In most cases, one of those, costing about $40 million, can move a school from shift to an extended day programme with great benefit to teachers and students,” he remarked.Contact: Athaliah Reynolds-Baker RelatedAdjustment to Leave Entitlement for Teacherslast_img read more

No. 1 Day motivated to hold off McIlroy, Spieth

first_imgDUBLIN, Ohio – World No. 1 Jason Day took the last two weeks off to recharge after a stressful – but very satisfying – wire-to-wire win at The Players. And while Day was away, the two guys in his rearview mirror in the world rankings – Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy – took back the headlines to set up a blockbuster showdown this week at the Memorial Tournament. All three players won in their last worldwide start. Day took notice. “I extended my lead for a while, and now Jordan and Rory are both closing in on it,” Day said Tuesday at the Memorial. It can be lonely at the top – just ask Tiger Woods – but Day has found plenty of company with his two contemporaries. They have been passing around the No. 1 ranking for most of the past year, and they have combined to win five of the last nine majors. McIlroy ruled the top spot for 54 weeks, mostly thanks to his two majors and a WGC win in 2014. Spieth took over for McIlroy last August and ruled most of 2015 by nearly winning the Grand Slam, but Day was not far behind as he matched Spieth with five wins but one less major. Spieth ended the year at No. 1, but so far in 2016 Day has tightened his grip on the throne with three wins. Memorial Tournament: Articles, photos and videos Coming off a disastrous finish at Augusta and a missed cut at The Players, a grumpy Spieth admitted two weeks ago he was bothered that Day was extending his lead. “It should bother guys who are competitive and want to stay on top as well,” Day said. “There’s nothing wrong with being bothered by that.” Spieth responded Sunday with a back-nine 30 to win his first professional event in his home state of Texas. McIlroy had his “hey, don’t forget about me” moment two weeks ago at the Irish Open when he hit two brawny fairway woods down the stretch to win his “fifth major.” Again, Day took notice. “Some of the best 3-woods and 5-woods I’ve seen in a long while,” he said. Now Day has a chance to respond, and he would love nothing more than to do it at his home course. But first Day will have to improve on his self-described “horrific” record at Muirfield Village. Day is a member – his wife, Elle, is from Ohio – but he has yet to crack the top 10 in eight starts at the Memorial. The good news for Day is that he drew inspiration from his bad record at TPC Sawgrass and won The Players. He hopes a new approach will turn his fortunes around this week. “I typically play this course when I’m playing in a social rounds; I play it very aggressive,” he said. “I’m hitting drivers off most tees or taking lines that you wouldn’t take, and then I – for some reason, I’ve kind of turned that into the actual tournament, and I’m taking similar lines, and you just can’t do that.” In addition to world No. 2 Spieth and No. 3 McIlory, Day will have to contend with No. 4 Bubba Watson, No. 5 Rickie Fowler, and No. 8 Dustin Johnson, plus other big names like Phil Mickelson, Matt Kuchar and Hideki Matsuyama. It is only the fifth time this year the latest version of the “Big 3” has been in the same field. Day has won two of those events (Match Play, Players), and he knows it will take a lot of work to stay at the top and hold off Spieth and McIlroy. “It’s a lot of pressure to be in this situation we’re in, but we wouldn’t want it any other way,” he said.last_img read more

Ind-Ra: Outlook for Shipping Sector Remains Negative-to-Stable in FY16

first_imgIndia Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) has maintained a negative-to-stable outlook for the shipping sector for the Fiscal Year 2016, saying that the performance of dry bulk and container operators will continue to be affected by weak global trade growth and persistent overcapacity.The agency, however, believes that the tanker segment, which accounts for a majority of the Indian fleet, will remain an exception due to its better demand-supply situation. Global demand for tankers increased in 2HFY15 as the sharp drop in crude oil prices resulted in floating storage and onshore stockpiling, Ind-Ra says. This along with a rise in long haul trade due an increase in crude oil purchases from Africa and Latin America by Asian buyers led to an increase in spot freight and time charter rates which has continued into FY16.However, Ind-Ra suggests that the rates will come down gradually during the year as demand will not sustain at the current artificially high levels. Nevertheless, the decline will be limited only to moderate levels as the fundamentals of the segment have improved over the last couple of years with an improving demand-supply scenario. Global capacity additions over the last two years have been only marginal (FY15: 2.2%; FY14: 0.2%).The oversupply in the dry bulk segment, along with weaker demand conditions, particularly in China, kept freight rates low throughout FY15. The agency expects the segment to be under pressure again in FY16 as overcapacity will persist and demand growth will remain subdued.Continued increase in global container capacity (FY15: 6.2%; FY14: 5.6%), coupled with subdued demand conditions, have led to a decline in container freight rates across most routes since the start of 2015. The agency expects freight rates to stay under pressure for the rest of FY16 as global capacity growth will continue to outstrip demand growth. As a result, the operating margins of container operators will decline in FY16.The agency expects the leverage indicators of shipping companies to remain high in FY16 as performance across most segments will be subdued. The credit profile of companies in the tanker segment will not show a meaningful improvement, despite the segment’s better fundamentals, as most companies also have a sizeable presence in other segments which are expected to perform weakly.last_img read more

Edo PDP lauds Gov. Obaseki’s renovation of Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium

first_imgMr Tony Aziegbemi, State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in Edo, on Friday lauded Gov. Godwin Obaseki for the renovation of Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium.Aziegbemi gave the commendation shortly after inspecting the stadium for the PDP gubernatorial primaries scheduled for June 19, and June 20, in Benin.According to him, you won’t believe that this is the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium of the past.“The PDP wants to thank him for turning the stadium around; the stadium can be compared to any other stadium in the world.“We also express the PDP immense gratitude to Gov. Godwin Obaseki for approving this newly renovated magnificent stadium as the venue of our primaries.“We will go ahead with our preparations.“We are just about 2,100 delegates, and the stadium has the capacity for 15,000 people.“So, you can see that we are going to maintain social/physical distancing among us to make sure that we maintain the COVID-19 protocols,” he said.The chairman urged all the delegates to be peaceful and law-abiding during the primaries.last_img read more