Kuala Lumpur: The United States must observe a landmark nuclear deal and halt “economic terrorism” against Iran if it wants to hold talks, the Islamic republic’s foreign minister said Thursday. Tehran and Washington have been locked in a bitter standoff since last year when US President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled out of the 2015 deal that gave Iran relief from sanctions in return for curbs on its atomic programme. Trump said Monday he was ready to meet Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani within weeks, in a potential breakthrough reached during a G7 summit in the French seaside resort of Biarritz. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USBut Rouhani has said Washington must first lift sanctions imposed since its withdrawal from the nuclear deal, and Foreign Minister i9ijjjjMohammad Javad Zarif reiterated that message. “The United States is engaged in economic war against the Iranian people, and it won’t be possible for us to engage with the United States unless they stop imposing a war, engaging in economic terrorism against the Iranian people,” he told reporters during a visit to Malaysia, “We spoke to the United States, we spoke at length with the United States, we reached an agreement and they need to implement the agreement that we have reached before they expect to have more talks,” he added, referring to the nuclear deal. Iran was still talking to other world powers involved in the deal, he said. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls”If (the US) wants to come back to the room there is a ticket that they need to purchase, and that ticket is to observe the agreement,” he added. Trump’s announcement this week came after Zarif travelled to France on Sunday for the second time in a matter of days, and held meetings on the sidelines of the G7 summit. US Defence Secretary Mark Esper also called Wednesday for Iran to enter discussions with the US to ease tensions in the Gulf region. “We are not seeking conflict with Iran. We want to engage with them diplomatically,” Esper said. In response to the US withdrawal and its imposition of crippling sanctions, Iran has hit back by abandoning commitments under the nuclear deal. Meanwhile, The EU’s diplomatic chief said Thursday that the bloc would support talks between the US and Tehran, but only if the current nuclear deal with Iran is preserved. Tehran and Washington have been locked in a bitter standoff since last year when US President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled out of the 2015 deal that gave Iran relief from sanctions in return for curbs on its atomic programme. The idea of direct talks between Washington and Tehran as a way out of the crisis has grown this week after Trump mooted the idea and the new US defense secretary urged Iran’s leaders to engage. The EU has desperately sought to stop the deal from collapsing completely, arguing it is the best way to stop Iran developing nuclear bombs. EU diplomatic chief Federica Mogherini gave a cautious welcome to the idea of negotiations, after Trump said Monday he was ready to meet Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani within weeks. “We are always in favour of talks, the more people talk, the more people understand each other the better, on the basis of clarity and on the basis of respect,” Mogherini said as she arrived for a meeting of EU foreign and defence ministers in Helsinki. But she added “first and foremost what is existing needs to be preserved” — specifically the 2015 deal known formally as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action or JCPOA. “We will always advocate for the full respect by all sides of the UNSC resolutions and that includes the JCPOA,” she said. At the G7 summit in Biarritz, Trump showed openness to French President Emmanuel Macron’s proposal of a summit with Rouhani. US Defense Secretary Mark Esper followed up on Wednesday by urging Tehran to engage, but Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif insisted Washington must respect the deal and halt what he called “economic terrorism” against his country.
Shirley McLean APTN NewsIn early November Melissa Carlick wrote a letter to the commissioners of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls asking if her termination as community liaison worker could be rescinded and that she has the opportunity to resign.She told APTN News that as of today, she hasn’t received a response.Carlick said she her termination came without warning.“Really boom you’re done because you either push back or you don’t agree with what’s going on,“ she said.Carlick spent six months with the commission as a front line and health worker and said there is a big disconnect between the commissioners and the front-line workers.“They don’t hear you they don’t listen to you it’s just about what makes me look good and if you don’t then you’re out and if you push back you’re gone,” she said.Carlick said the commission fired her during the hearings in Edmonton on Nov. 7.She said they told her she was unprepared.Sources have told APTN Carlick was fired after members of the National Family Advisory Circle complained in a conference call and letters to the commissioners and senior staff that families complained of mistreatment by the inquiry.Carlick said she was the lead on the Edmonton hearings and arrived six weeks before and started to organize families, look for a venue, do health intakes, and find spiritual support for the hearings.She said the task was too big of a job to plan in just six weeks for a person who’s not from Alberta.And she said the working conditions were tough“We were working 24-7,” she said. “Sometimes just all day all the time it was just a lot of planning a lot time, a lot of pressure and no support, no debrief.”Carlick along with two other front-line workers have been let go from the inquiry in the last month and legal counsel Karen Snowshoe also handed in her resignation.That brings the number of inquiry employees who have resigned or fired to 19 in this year alone.Sue Caribou, a member of the family advisory circle also resigned Thursday.
NOTHING abt that mans demeanor said he’d kill himself, ESPECIALLY after he just beat the case & was goin try to get an appeal… FOH— Wild Wild Seth (@SpikeReeds) April 19, 2017 Either Aaron Hernandez was guilty & the guilt ate him alive resulting in suicide, or someone killed him based on the not guilty verdict.— Chad Williams Sr. (@CHADWILLIAMSSR) April 19, 2017 Of course I don’t believe #AaronHernandez committed suicide. The man was killed ??♀️.— kid Griffin (@BirdCat21) April 20, 2017 Aaron Hernandez helped lead the New England Patriots to Super Bowl XLVI. (Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)Aaron Hernandez’s lawyer doesn’t believe the former New England Patriots tight end took his own life and has vowed to launch an investigation.Jose Baez believes fellow inmates or prison staff murdered Hernandez and the athlete’s “devastated” family doesn’t believe he wanted to kill himself, TMZ reported. Baez released a statement hours after authorities announced Hernandez died of an apparent suicide Wednesday, April 20 saying the family and his client’s representatives were “shocked and surprised at the news of Aaron’s death,” according to USA Today.“There were no conversations or correspondence from Aaron to his family or legal team that would have indicated anything like this was possible,” Baez’s statement said. “Aaron was looking forward to an opportunity for a second chance to prove his innocence. Those who love and care about him are heartbroken and determined to find the truth surrounding his untimely death. We request that authorities conduct a transparent and thorough investigation.”Hernandez was acquitted Friday of the 2012 double murder of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado. He had been serving a life sentence without parole for the 2013 shooting of Odin Lloyd, which CBS Boston reported would be appealed with Baez’s counsel.An investigation is ongoing at the Shirley, Mass., Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center where Hernandez was discovered hanged from bed sheets. Spokesman Christopher Fallon told the Associated Press there was no reason to believe Hernandez was suicidal and he would have been transferred to a mental health unit if he were.When Hernandez’s body was discovered, guards reportedly found “John 3:16” written on his forehead and on the in red marker. Sources told Fox 25 a Bible was flipped open to the verse, which reads, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”Investigators also believe Hernandez possibly smoked synthetic marijuana Tuesday night before his death, according to CBS Boston.“I just think it got to him — the guilt,” Mixson Philip, a family friend of LLoyd’s told the AP. “Each man has to live with himself. You can put on an act like nothing happened, but you’ve got a soul. You’ve got a heart.”Hernandez’s former agent, Brian Murphy voiced suspicion about the circumstances of the star footballer’s death.Absolutely no chance he took his own life. Chico was not a saint, but my family and I loved him and he would never take his own life.— Brian Murphy (@A1Murph) April 19, 2017Others also questioned Hernandez’s alleged suicide.One day, got off a double murder charge.Next day, found dead. 100% guarantee that Aaron Hernandez did not commit suicide.— T T (@TajTaylor_) April 19, 2017 #AaronHernandez was murdered on suicide watch. FIRE THE STAFF!FED. INVEST. NEEDED ASAP! @RookwoodAmbrose @scoobysnahx @330Kingish #coverup pic.twitter.com/k3LF4ZB0rS— DeShaunneLoveHoliday (@Deshaunnea) April 20, 2017
Darjeeling: As rains continued in the Hills, there were reports of more landslides in the Darjeeling and Kalimpong districts.The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway service from New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling has been suspended owing to the tracks being blocked with debris, rocks and trees from a landslide. Darjeeling and Kalimpong Hills have been witnessing incessant rainfall for the past few days triggering landslides. On Tuesday, a landslide on the National Highway 55 in between Tindharia and Ghayabari resulted in the suspension of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway services from NJP to Darjeeling. “We are trying to clear the debris, rocks and trees that have fallen on the tracks. As soon as the lines are clear the NJP-Darjeeling services will resume,” stated a DHR official. The Darjeeling to Kurseong section is however functioning normally. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataThe NH55 between Kurseong and Siliguri was also closed to vehicular traffic owing to this landslide. Earth movers were pressed into service to clear the debris. By evening part of the debris were cleared thereby allowing vehicles to ply. A landslide at the Ghayabari bypass road from Ghayabari caused the road to sink. A part of the road was washed away. In Darjeeling town, there was a landslide in front of Loreto Convent school. Debris and soil from the slide blocked the road to the school. Earth movers were pressed into service to clear the road. The vulnerable hill side was covered with tarpaulin sheets to stop seepage of water. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateBlocked drains and Jhoras further aggravated the situation. After a visit to the landslide site, Anit Thapa, Chairman, Gorkhaland Territorial Administration stated: “We have requested the Municipality to give priority to cleaning up the drains and jhoras to ensure smooth flow of water.” He then visited the Ghoom Jorebungalow area. “There are multiple slides in the Ghoom Jorebungalow area. Houses and roads have been damaged. We have called for a report of the damages. The earth moving equipment have been kept on standby. We are on alert and keeping a close tab on the situation. The GTA will also provide tarpaulin sheets in case of shortage,” added Thapa. Meanwhile, in Upper Rongpo Bustee in Kalimpong the house of one Manju Tamang was fully damaged in a landslide. However, there was no report of any human casualty. The Indian Meteorological Department in a weather bulletin has issued orange warning (heavy rainfall to very heavy rainfall) for July 10 to July 12. As per the bulleting Kalimpong received 14 cm of rainfall and Darjeeling 10 cm of rainfall in the past 24 hours.
Yesterday, US senators Ron Wyden, Cory Booker, and Yvette D. Clarke proposed a bill named “Algorithmic Accountability Act”. This bill calls for large companies to assess and fix their algorithms if they show any type of unfairness, inaccuracy, or bias. While automated decision systems are being used to make some of the most important decisions for us, in some use cases they fail to give the right result because of algorithmic bias. The machine learning algorithms behind these systems are often trained using data that has an underrepresentation of a particular race or sex, which leads to their racist, sexist and non-inclusive behavior. Sen. Ron Wyden said in an interview with The Associated Press, “Computers are increasingly involved in the most important decisions affecting Americans’ lives — whether or not someone can buy a home, get a job or even go to jail. But instead of eliminating bias, too often these algorithms depend on biased assumptions or data that can actually reinforce discrimination against women and people of color.” This bill comes at a time when we are witnessing several controversies surrounding AI systems. The list of such controversies just goes on and usually includes the big tech. For instance, Facebook facing a charge of housing discrimination by the Department of Housing and Urban Development and Amazon shutting down its automated recruitment tool after it was found favoring men in industries where they already dominate. Earlier, we have seen facial recognition systems misidentifying black women. Computerized money lending tools often charge higher interest rates to Latino and black borrowers. What is Algorithmic Accountability Act? This 15-page bill lists all the “impact assessments” companies are required to perform on their automated decision systems. These assessments will include evaluating the development process, system design, and training data for their accuracy, fairness, bias, discrimination, privacy, and security. Companies will be required to evaluate a broad range of algorithms, including the systems that attempt to predict and analyze customer’s behavior, involve large amounts of sensitive data, or systematically monitors a large, publicly accessible physical place. If the assessment report shows any risks of discrimination, privacy problem, or other issues, companies will need to address them within a timely manner. The act targets companies who make over $50 million per year and has access to personal information of at least 1 million customers or devices. It will also be applicable to “data brokers” who, as a major part of their business, collect, assemble, or maintain personal information of individuals. Once passed, the bill would let the Federal Trade Commission to create rules for companies to check for the concerns in their automated systems and correct them if any problems are found. It also gives FTC the authority to regularly monitor how these automated systems are performing. Many Twitter users welcomed this much-needed move to fight against tech bias: You can read the proposed bill here: Algorithmic Accountability Act. Read Next Facebook will ban white nationalism, and separatism content in addition to white supremacy content Facebook takes an initiative against discriminative ads on its platform The FTC issues orders to 7 broadband companies to analyze ISP privacy practices given they are also ad-support content platforms