New Delhi: Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has moved the Delhi High Court for quashing of the defamation complaint against him by BJP leader Vijender Gupta and summons issued to him in the matter. When the matter came up for hearing before Justice Manoj Kumar Ohri on Tuesday, the judge observed that there was a high court ruling which said whether re-tweets would constitute an offence of defamation under the Indian Penal Code has to be determined during trial. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder The court asked Kejriwal’s lawyers to go through the judgement to ascertain whether it would be applicable in the instant case and listed it for hearing on August 23. Gupta, in his complaint, had accused Kejriwal and Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia of “maligning” his image by allegedly accusing him on Twitter of being part of an alleged “conspiracy” to kill the AAP chief. The AAP convenor, represented by senior advocate Vikas Pahwa and advocate R Arunadhri Iyer, has claimed that he had neither mentioned Gupta in his tweet nor made any allegations against him. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchings His lawyers, however, admitted that the AAP chief had re-tweeted Sisodia’s tweet but with his own comment in which also Gupta was not mentioned by name. Kejriwal, in his plea filed through advocate Mohd Irsad, has contended that he has neither made any defamatory comment against Gupta nor mentioned his name and therefore, the offence was not made out against him. After Kejriwal was slapped in May this year during the general election campaign, he had alleged on Twitter that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) wanted to get him killed by his own personal security officer (PSO) in the manner in which Indira Gandhi had been assassinated. In response to his comments, Gupta had said that Kejriwal was slapped because he had relaxed his security cordon. To this, Sisodia had tweeted that there was a conspiracy to kill Kejriwal and that Gupta was allegedly part of it.
“Contrary to the president’s assertions, our failed strategy in Iraq has exacerbated the threat against us. The president says that fighting them `there’ makes it less likely we will have to fight them `here.’ The opposite is true. Because we are fighting them there, it may become more likely that we’ll have to fight them here.” The report also calls into question Bush’s claim that America is safer five years after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. Although intelligence officials agreed that U.S. efforts “have seriously damaged” al-Qaida’s leadership, they said Osama bin Laden’s terrorist network remains “the greatest threat to the homeland and U.S. interests abroad.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON – The Iraq war is fueling a growing threat of global terrorism and “shaping a new generation of terrorist leaders,” according to a report from U.S. intelligence agencies that President Bush ordered declassified Tuesday. The grim analysis offers little reason for optimism over the next five years, the time frame covered by the assessment. It concludes that Islamic extremists are growing “in both number and geographic dispersion,” that new radical threats are emerging and that terrorist attacks are likely to increase. It also says that Iraq has become a training ground for terrorists and a recruitment tool for extremists around the world. “The Iraq conflict has become the `cause celebre’ for jihadists, breeding a deep resentment of U.S. involvement in the Muslim world and cultivating supporters for the global jihadist movement,” the report says. For reasons that aren’t clear, the declassified excerpts from the report make no mention of Afghanistan, where the war against al-Qaida began five years ago, but where the Taliban have rebounded in parts of the country and reconstruction efforts have flagged. The assessment came in the form of a National Intelligence Estimate, an analysis that reflects the consensus of all 16 government intelligence services, including the CIA. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe joys and headaches of holiday travel: John PhillipsCiting unnamed government officials, The New York Times and other media outlets characterized the report’s conclusions on Sunday without quoting directly from the classified document. Bush directed intelligence officials to release excerpts from the report to counter suggestions that the analysis means that the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq has fueled rather than curbed the terrorist threat and that the United States would be better off withdrawing from Iraq. The report does conclude that the Iraq war has helped spread terrorism, but it also supports Bush’s view that a U.S. loss there would make things even worse. “Perceived jihadist success there would inspire more fighters to continue the struggle elsewhere,” the report says. “Should jihadists leaving Iraq perceive themselves, and be perceived, to have failed, we judge fewer fighters will be inspired to carry on the fight.” In response, Rep. Jane Harman of California, the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said: