Kyle Petty has placed a generation’s worth of effort into his philanthropic work. It’s a milestone he never quite saw coming back in 1995, when a handful of friends and motorcycle enthusiasts started discussion about the ultimate road trip for a good cause.Some 25 years later, the Kyle Petty Charity Ride Across America has grown into an annual highlight of the stock-car racing community’s calendar of charitable deeds. With many miles of crisscrossing the country already in the books, Petty says he knew the ride’s silver-anniversary edition was one worth celebrating on an extreme scale.“This has been on our radar screen for a number of years, but we kind of saved it for the 25th,” Petty says. “We wanted the 25th to be something special — the longest, going corner to corner, the most bikes we’ve had in forever. We’re going to some new places and we’re going to some old places that have been favorites of the riders through the years that we have fond memories of. … We just thought, hey, the 25th. Might as well blow it out big-time, man, and do it corner to corner.”This year’s Charity Ride route is the most ambitious in the event’s history, with 250 riders embarking on a scheduled distance of some 3,700 miles from Seattle to Key Largo, Florida, over a stretch from May 3-11.The ride will again benefit the Victory Junction camp for chronic and critically ill children in Randleman, North Carolina. The facility, established in 2004 to honor the memory of Petty’s son, Adam, received $1.3 million from last year’s event. The outpouring of support in recent years has meant that more than 8,000 children have attended the camp at no cost.“It’s crazy, and I say that all the time. The NASCAR community, I shouldn’t be amazed by it any more by all that they do,” Petty said “When one person in the community does something, everybody kind of chimes in and helps. … When you look at the drivers and the people in the NASCAR community, they’ve always supported it. I look at it that this is my community because I grew up traveling week to week with the same group of people. When your community supports you, that’s big. So I think it means everything to me.”LEARN MORE: Kyle Petty Charity Ride | Victory JunctionPetty calls this year’s nine-day itinerary “a mix of the old and the new, the favorites and soon-to-be favorites.” Both endpoints of the route are new to the ride, as are stops in Oregon and Utah. Glenwood Springs, Colorado and Santa Fe are familiar return trips for past riders, as is Childress, Texas, where Petty says he’s experienced uncommon kindness from the local townsfolk.“A couple of our guys had left their luggage at the last hotel, which was about 400 miles away,” Petty says, “and when we got there, the lady that worked at the front desk of the hotel where we were, took their clothes to her house, washed them, dried them, and brought them back for them — all in about an hour and a half. I thought, ‘You just don’t get that. People don’t do that for you.’ That was amazing.”Kevin Kane PhotographyAmong this year’s participants are his father, “The King” Richard Petty, current Monster Energy Series driver David Ragan, and former drivers Donnie Allison, Harry Gant and timeless wonder Hershel McGriff, a NASCAR Hall of Fame nominee who plans to join in at age 91. Petty will also have support from NBC Sports colleagues Rick Allen, Krista Voda and Rutledge Wood.The planning and logistics of organizing overnight stays, fueling stops and three daily meals for nearly 250 people typically hasn’t given Petty much time for reflection. When the ride got its start, Petty figured he’d give the event a solid five-year run before moving on to other projects. Then five years prompted talk of a 10-year mark. The rides accumulated, and the 15-year milestone immediately spurred Petty’s group to the goal of a quarter-century.This year, Petty is taking that moment for himself to reflect.“When you get to 25 and look back, and I will say this is probably the first year that I’ve ever really sat down and thought about all the people that have been a part of the ride through the ride, the people that are not with us any more that have been part of the ride from the very beginning,” Petty says. “And I think about Adam and so many things that the ride has meant through the years to so many people, there’s 10 riders that have been on all 25 rides, so that’s all so special. You look back a bit at 25, but we’re still looking ahead, too.”And looking ahead might mean another decade or two.“I figured if Hershel McGriff can ride at 91, then we’re going to get 50 years out of this thing,” Petty says with a laugh. “I figure I’ve got another good 25 left in me, know what I mean?”
Related Shows You’re invited! The highly anticipated new musical comedy The Prom begins preview performances at the Longacre Theatre on October 23. The Prom will celebrate an official opening night on November 15.In The Prom, when Broadway’s brassiest stars get word that a student is unceremoniously sidelined from a small-town Indiana prom—and that the press is involved—they gear up to save the day. Featuring a book by Chad Beguelin and Bob Martin, music by Matthew Sklar and lyrics by Beguelin, The Prom is based on an original concept by Jack Viertel. Casey Nicholaw is the musical’s director and choreographer.The talent-packed principal cast includes Tony winner Beth Leavel, Tony nominees Christopher Sieber and Brooks Ashmanskas, Caitlin Kinnunen, Angie Schworer, Courtenay Collins, Josh Lamon, Michael Potts and Isabelle McCalla. The ensemble will feature Courtney Balan, David Josefsberg, Mary Antonini, Josh Franklin, Teddy Toye, Kate Marilley, Drew Redington, Gabi Campo, Jerusha Cavazos, Shelby Finnie, Fernell Hogan, Joomin Hwang, Sheldon Henry, Becca Lee, Wayne Mackins, Anthony Norman, Jack Sippel, Kalyn West and Brittany Zeinstra.The Prom features scenic design by Scott Pask, costume design by Ann Roth and Matthew Pachtman, lighting design by Natasha Katz, sound design by Brian Ronan, orchestrations by Larry Hochman and music direction by Mary-Mitchell Campbell. The Prom View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on Aug. 11, 2019
A woman driving in the early hours of Sunday morning lost control of her car in Prairie Village, crashing into a light pole in a wreck that killed her.Prairie Village police say the woman was driving westbound in the 2500 block of 75th Street in her Honda just before 1 a.m. Sunday when she veered into the concrete median that begins near the approach to the intersection with Belinder Avenue. The car veered across the eastbound lanes before striking the light post in the southeast corner of the 75th Street and Belinder intersection.The woman, aged 30, was pronounced dead at the scene of the wreck.
County leaders raised concerns about the management of the Johnson County Election Office prior to Brian Newby’s departure in 2015. Photo credit U.S. Election Assistance Commission.The former Johnson County Election Commissioner who left a string of financial and human resources scandals in his wake here after he accepted an appointment with the federal Election Assistance Commission is now drawing scrutiny for his direction of that agency.A lengthy investigative piece published by POLITICO this month details concerns with Brian Newby’s leadership of the EAC, which is charged with helping local voting operations across the country adhere to the requirements of the Help America Vote Act of 2002.According to the report, elections officials and federal employees have been disheartened by actions from Newby that have stymied efforts to address election security issues. From reporter Eric Geller’s story:…Newby has not only frustrated his own employees and helped create a staff exodus — nine EAC office directors have left since Newby arrived — but also angered cybersecurity experts, election integrity activists and state and local officials. His reputation in the elections community conjures up “the eye-roll emoji,” said one former election official. “Everybody kind of puts up with him.”POLITICO’s seven sources — all of whom requested anonymity to speak candidly — described Newby, a Republican, as too beholden to the EAC’s GOP chairwoman, Christy McCormick, who masterminded his appointment and later spent years denying the reality of Russian interference in the 2016 election. They also said that Newby alienated his agency almost immediately by wading into the issue of a citizenship requirement for voter eligibility — and that he has failed to regain their trust ever since.Newby served as Johnson County Election Commissioner from 2005 to 2015, when he left to accept the job as the EAC’s executive director. But in the year following his departure from the Johnson County Election Office, word broke that his tenure here had been marked by questionable practices. Newby was having an affair with an election office employee who he had given a promotion. He had found ways to avoid oversight of the use of Johnson County government credit cards. Those issues prompted Johnson County officials to push for more local control over the election office, which had been supervised primarily by the Kansas secretary of state.In the POLITICO story, Newby pushed back on the criticisms of his management style raised by EAC employees and people from other agencies who have dealt with him.
Equipment is expected to be moved into place at Toondah Harbour next week in preparation for the commencement of dredging work.Mayor Karen Williams said the work, due for completion by 30 August (weather permitting), involved maintenance and capital dredging of a section of the Fison Channel and widening of the ‘swing basin’, allowing vessels to more easily manoeuvre and pass in the harbour and channel.“The dredging will benefit public and commercial users of Toondah Harbour,” Williams said.“Toondah Harbour is a vital access point for residents and visitors to North Stradbroke Island and an important part of our city’s economy.“I am delighted that these long-awaited dredging projects are finally happening. In the past we have had times when ferries grounded and could not use Toondah at low tide and had to operate from Raby Bay. The dredge will remove this problem.“Council has worked closely with the Queensland Transport and Main Roads, Brisbane Harbourmaster, commercial ferry operators, and the dredging contractor to ensure the work is managed to minimise disruption and achieves the best outcome for the community.”The State Government provided $6 million in 2011 for three dredging projects across the city.Funding included dredging at Coochiemudlo Island, completed in 2013, and at both Victoria Point and Toondah Harbour, scheduled for completion this year.“The State Government’s assistance has been invaluable to ensuring both the necessary funding and permits are available for this work to begin,” Williams said.“Dredging equipment is in high demand up and down the east coast of Australia so we are very pleased that we are now able to make a start on this important work.“Once the Toondah Harbour dredging is complete, the contractor will return to complete work already begun at Victoria Point in preparation for the planned improvements to the Victoria Point jetty and the construction of the new Coochiemudlo Island jetty.”Redland City Council is managing the contract for both the Victoria Point and Toondah Harbour dredging work.[mappress]Press Release, May 30, 2014
Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN
Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe now for unlimited access To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN
Further to the news posted by HLPFI on October 13, reporting that Sarens had equipped its CC 8800-1 fleet with the Terex Boom Booster, the new kit has been used for the first time in the erection of an Enercon wind turbine.The Terex Boom Booster kit is a lattice boom structure with a width of 10 m and a length of up to 72 m that is designed to increase the capacity of CC 8800-1 crawler cranes by up to 60 percent.”It’s as if the kit had been designed specifically for our project at Windpark Noordoostpolder,” said Sarens project manager Hendrik Sanders.The kit was delivered directly to the job site in the Netherlands from the factory in Zweibrücken with the frame pre-assembled, in order to allow Sarens to save time during assembly on site.A total of 12 trucks and a special permit were needed to get the Boom Booster kit to Noordoostpolder in a week. Meanwhile, Sarens used 48 trucks to transport the crane, and another 28 vehicles to take the superlift counterweight to its destination.Sanders explained that the work conditions on site were unique: it was necessary to set up an adequate supporting surface for the CC 8800-1, which meant that Enercon had to use track ballasts to create a platform, so that the crane would end up 3 m above ground level.”Sure, the Boom Booster kit is about 50 percent heavier than the CC 8800-1 crane’s standard boom, but the way it was designed made self-assembly possible with the superlift,” said Sanders.With a main boom length of 138 m – 72 m of which were contributed by the Boom Booster kit – and an 18 m LF extension, the CC 8800-1 crane reached a total boom system length of 156 m.This was enough to lift the wind turbine components to a hub height of 135 m, while using an angular offset of 20°. To do this, the superstructure was equipped with a counterweight of 295 tonnes, the central ballast amounted to 60 tonnes, and 400 tonnes of superlift counterweight were used.Once the two assist cranes had erected the Enercon E-126’s tower, the Terex crane lifted the last components to a height of 135 m: the 170-tonne nacelle using a working radius of 40 m; the 260-tonne generator using a working radius of 36.5 m; the 375-tonne hub using a working radius of 33 m; and the three fibreglass rotor blades, each weighing 40 tonnes, using a working radius of 23.5 m. This whole process will be repeated for another 37 wind turbines. www.terex.comwww.sarens.com
The Metropolitan Police is to test measures to prevent knife crime that could result in children as young as 12 being caught up in the criminal justice system for breaching civil orders.The Home Office announced today that legislation has been laid in parliament to pilot knife crime prevention orders, which were introduced through the Offensive Weapons Act 2019. Fatal stabbings in England and Wales were at their highest in 2018 since the Home Office Homicide Index began in 1946.The civil orders can be imposed by courts on anyone aged 12 or over who the police believe is regularly carrying a knife, or if they are convicted of a knife-related offence. Courts could impose geographical restrictions and curfews, as well as mandatory attendance in sports, drug rehabilitation and anger management classes.The pilot will begin on 6 April and run for 14 months.The Home Office said the orders are intended to be preventative rather than punitive.Crime and policing minister Kit Malthouse said: ‘We are doing all we can to tackle serious violence and make our streets safer. The police have our full support and these new orders are an example of us ensuring officers have the powers they need to bear down on violent crime.’Commander Jane Connors from the Metropolitan Police Service said the prevention orders ‘will no doubt be well received in protecting young vulnerable individuals, who get caught up in violence whilst also preventing further acts of violence and helping to keep our communities safe’.Last year the Gazette reported that the government had not consulted lawyers, magistrates, youth offending teams and social workers on the prevention orders.Linda Logan, chair of the Magistrates Association’s youth court committee, told the Gazette: ‘These orders have been introduced without proper consultation or a firm evidence base to rely on, so it is impossible to know whether they are what is needed to deal with the current problems. These pilots must therefore be a genuine test of whether they have any positive effect. If not, then they should not be rolled out further.’We are particularly concerned that their use may worsen existing overrepresentation of black, Asian and minority ethnic young people in the justice system and this issue must therefore be at the heart of the evaluation of the pilot.’
COWI ended the 2002-03 financial year with operating profits of DKr43·1m, down DKr7·7m from last year. Pre-tax profits declined by DKr14·8m to DKr42m. Turnover outside Denmark was up 42%, and formed 56% of the company’s record total turnover of DKr2·29bn, up 33% from 2001-02. Turnover in Denmark was up 23%. The acquisition of Kampsax and Norwegian Interconsult increased the number of staff by 1230. ’The year has been marked by acquisition, integration and the reorganisation of COWI’s business units’, said CEO & Managing Director Klaus H Ostenfeld, who described the Kr42m profit as satisfactory. n