Built in the 1940s, the pipeline transports a form of natural gas that is an oily liquid, which is refined into fuel. Rodger Hunt, the owner of Power Run Oil, the Redondo Beach company that owns the line, did not return a phone call Tuesday. County officials said the liquid was not flammable, and its slight capacity to explode was quickly abated. The leak was one block outside of Gardena, in an unincorporated county area. The oily substance formed a pool about 12-feet wide last week, but remained close to the curb and did not affect traffic, said officials from Health Hazardous Materials Division of Los Angeles County Fire Department. Officials initially believed it was an oil leak, but eventually discovered it was natural gas from the same pipe that leaked about six months ago in that area, said a Health HazMat specialist, who asked not to be identified. “It was simmering like boiling water from the pressure,” the official said. “It came through as floating bubbles, but it dissipated. What remained was the condensate residue, the oily stuff.” Mike Duran of Gardena’s Public Works Department said the city helped with the cleanup by providing sand to soak up the liquid. An outside company later vacuumed it up. The leak seeped into soil surrounding the pipe and nearby storm drains, but did not reach the Dominguez Channel, said Greg Remick, spokesman for the state Office of Emergency Services. “There was no threat indicated to drinking water,” Remick said, adding that local agencies were able to contain and resolve the problem. County agencies oversaw companies that steam-cleaned the storm drains and removed contaminated soil under the street. There will be no long-term environmental effects from the leak, according to initial reports. On Tuesday, an area near Denker Avenue and El Segundo Boulevard was still blocked off. The street will not be repaired while the pipeline’s owner seeks county permits to stop using it altogether, a Health HazMat official said. Los Angeles County Public Works Road Maintenance officials will manage the street repair. firstname.lastname@example.org Staff writer Kristin S. Agostoni contributed to this article.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Sandy Mazza STAFF WRITER A week after an underground pipeline leaked oil on a street near Gardena, officials are seeking permission to shut down the line. The pipe closed Sept. 11, prompting a large cleanup that lasted four days. It was the second time this year there was a leak at the location on El Segundo Boulevard.
Sony may not be done with its Xperia X series just yet. Leaked online today is an image alleged to be Sony’s “New Xperia X” smartphone.Also Read: Sony Xperia XZ beats Google Pixel, OnePlus 3T to become most popular flagship in second half 2016 Appearing to the taken secretively (and in dim light), the image posted on Slashleaks reveals a new Sony Xperia X could be in the making. Though the image, apart from creating the phone’s online existence reveals little about the smartphone. The front of the smartphone is visible in the image though, sporting a black color body. It appears to have little bezels around the display, but its design appears largely the same, having defined corners and 5-5.5 inch form. A dedicated camera button is also visible at far end, on the bottom of the right edge of the phone in the photo.Beside the phone is the name New Xperia X written with some text below it.Sony could be planning to launch a 2017 variant of its Xperia X smartphone, but nothing definite can be said right now. The uploader itself can’t be identified, though the site gives its trust score at 57 per cent.Sony witnessed a hard time pulling off a stint in the Android market with its previous flagship, the Xperia X that appeared both under-powered and over priced when it was launched.The company later launched the Xperia Z5 with upgraded hardware under its Triluminos mobile display.Also Read: Top smartphones coming to India in early 2017 advertisementAs of now, Nokia, Xiaomi, Huawei and Blackberry are expected to launch their Android flagships in the first quarter among other companies, Samsung’s Galaxy S8 launch is reportedly pushed further to April.