first_imgMONTREAL – A young man in a black trench coat and a Mohawk haircut opened fire Wednesday at a Montreal college, slaying a woman and wounding at least 19 other people before police shot and killed him, witnesses and authorities said. Police dismissed suggestions that terrorism played a role in the lunch-hour attack at Dawson College, where scores of panicked students fled into the streets after the shooting began. Some had clothes stained with blood. Others cried and clung to each other. Two nearby shopping centers and a child-care center also were evacuated. “I was terrified. The guy was shooting at people randomly. He didn’t care – he was just shooting at everybody,” said student Devansh Smri Vastava. “There were cops firing. It was so crazy.” Witnesses said the attacker started firing outside on campus before he walked in the front door. Much of the shooting was in the second-floor cafeteria, where students dropped to the floor and lay in terror. At times the gunman hid behind vending machines before emerging to take aim. At one point he shot at a teenager who tried to photograph him with his cell phone. Teachers ran through the halls, telling everyone to get out of the building. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe Christmas Truce of 1914 proved that peace is possiblePolice rushed to the scene and hid behind a wall as they exchanged fire with the gunman, whose back was against a vending machine, said student Andrea Barone, a witness. Barone said the officers proceeded cautiously because many students were trapped near the assailant. The gunman yelled “Get back! Get back!” every time an officer tried to move closer, added Barone, who said the assailant eventually fell in a hail of police gunfire. The attacker’s bloody body, covered in a yellow sheet, later lay next to a police cruiser near an entrance to a school building. Police Sgt. Francois Dore said the attacker was a 25-year-old man from the Montreal area, but he did not provide a name or any further details about the man. Dore said the man’s car was still at the school and that police were searching his apartment. Police spokesman Ean Lafreniere said there was just one gunman. Although police initially suggested that the gunman had killed himself, Police Director Yvan DeLorme later said at a news conference that “based on current information, the suspect was killed by police.” Police with guns drawn stood behind a police cruiser as a SWAT team swarmed the 12-acre campus. Montreal General Hospital officials said 11 people were admitted, including eight in critical condition. Nine others were taken to two other hospitals. One young woman later died, a police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the victim’s family had not yet been notified.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

Leave a Comment